What is a Dental Bridge?
Patients missing teeth often try to hide their smiles, and our job is to give you a reason to show off your pearly whites. Our team of dental experts are incredibly talented at designing and placing dental bridges, or tooth bridges, that fit just right and look completely natural.
A dental bridge is a restorative appliance that fills gaps in your smile using false teeth (called pontics) that are held in place by your existing neighbouring teeth, or a dental implant. For a dental bridge to be successful, it requires strong anchor teeth with good bone support. A dental bridge is made of tooth-coloured porcelain carefully bonded to a precious metal base — it looks natural, and it’s quite strong too.
Advantages of Getting a Porcelain Dental Bridge
Of course, a better smile is one of the biggest perks of having a dental bridge. However, there are many other advantages when you come to Southview for dental bridge treatment. Here are some of them:
- By replacing a missing tooth or teeth, the tooth bridge prevents surrounding teeth from migrating into the vacant area. This can prevent misalignment and other oral health issues.
- When cared for properly, dental bridges can last 10 to 15 years.
- Porcelain dental bridges look natural as they are colour-matched to your existing teeth.
- A well-made and well-fitting tooth bridge can significantly enhance your confidence.
- A dental bridge can improve your speech, if a missing tooth has altered your enunciation.
- A porcelain dental bridge helps maintain your facial structure by preventing bone loss in the jaw at the location of the missing tooth.
- Replacing a missing tooth with a dental bridge enables you to chew your food more efficiently.
Types of Dental Bridges
A one-size-fits-all approach does not work in dentistry. There are different types of dental bridges, made to serve the precise needs of each patient we see. After we do an assessment of your mouth, we can determine the most appropriate dental bridge for you. Based on our examination, we will recommend one of these four types of tooth bridges.
- Traditional fixed bridges are the most common, and have a crown on each side of the pontic(s).
- Implant-supported bridges have an implant surgically placed in the jawbone, which attaches to the pontic.
- Resin-bonded bridges are often used to replace missing front and adhere using porcelain or metal frameworks that bond to the backs of the surrounding teeth.
- Cantilever bridges are less common, using a single crown anchor to hold the pontic in place when only one side of the gap has a natural tooth.
How We Fit Tooth Bridges at Our UK Dental Practice
We start every treatment with an assessment, where we can educate you on your options and answer questions, so you are well-informed about the procedure.
A dental bridge fitting at Southview Dental Care takes at least two visits.
During your first visit, we carry out preparatory work on the teeth adjacent to the missing tooth. A small amount of these teeth may need to be removed to make room for the crowns that will support the tooth bridge. Following this, we create a digital impression of your teeth, which will be used to create the tooth bridge and crowns in the laboratory.
Once the dental bridge appliance is created, we’ll schedule your second appointment. During this visit, we will fit the custom-made dental bridge, and adjust it to ensure the best possible fit. If it feels good to you and looks good to us, the dental bridge will be cemented into place.
Caring For Your Dental Bridge
To prolong the life of your dental bridge, it’s important you follow proper care instructions. Just like your teeth, you need to clean your bridge every day to prevent problems such as bad breath and gum disease.
You also have to clean under the false tooth every day. After we place your tooth bridge, either the dentist or hygienist will show you how to use a bridge needle or special floss. We will explain how to do a thorough and complete cleaning, as a normal toothbrush cannot reach all the nooks and crannies around your dental bridge.
Dental Finance Options Are Available for Dental Bridges
Finance facilities are available at our dental practice. We offer 0% interest-free and interest-bearing finance for treatments costing £350 or more. We will be happy to discuss the details with you, if you are interested in applying for financing to spread the cost of your dental bridge over a period of time.
Find Out if a Dental Bridge is Right for You
Please get in touch with us and book an appointment if you are interested in dental bridges or any of the other treatments we offer that can help improve your smile. We look forward to helping you achieve the smile of your dreams.
Stay up to date with Southview